Shape Up for Summer
Summer is coming, and you know what that means. No more sweaters or long pants — it’s time for sleeveless shirts, shorts and sandals!
Along with the warmer weather and more revealing clothing often comes a desire to look your best, with a healthy glow that comes from eating well, getting enough sleep and, you guessed it, exercising!
Here are some tips, ideas and events to help you make the most of May and those wonderful days leading into the long Sarasota summer.
Exercise of the Month: Arm Toning
Since the summer season is right around the corner, it’s time to get our arms toned!
Using dumbbells, try doing each of these exercises for three to four sets of 12 reps. If you do this workout two to three times a week, you’ll start to see some results in no time.
- Biceps Curl — Hold a pair of dumbbells at your sides with your palms facing forward. Bend your elbows and curl the weights toward your shoulders. Lower the weights to the starting position and repeat.
- Upright Row — Stand with a dumbbell in each hand in front of your thighs. Raise the dumbbells in front of you until they are level with your chest and your elbows are out to the side, nearly to your shoulders. Move the dumbbells down to your thighs and repeat.
- Rear Delt Fly — Holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand with your knees slightly bent. Bend forward and let your arms hang down from your shoulders. Raise both arms to out to your sides and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Repeat.
- Triceps Kickback — Stand with a dumbbell in each hand, your knees bent slightly. Lean forward slightly. Bend your elbows to bring the dumbbells to your side and make your arm parallel with the floor. When you straighten your arm, squeeze your triceps.
- Write Your Name — Using both hands, hold one dumbbell. Extend your arms in front of you. Slowly write your name in the air. Each letter is one rep.
For more exercises to help tone your arms, read this article.
Who Doesn’t Like a Good Sale?
Wow, we’re having a mega spring sale! Right now, all doTERRA and BloqUV products at the studio are 50% off. This is the time to stock up on the essential oils you need — and all of those blends you’ve been wanting to try. And if you don’t have any BloqUV sun protective clothing in your wardrobe, that needs to change. As we head into the summer, you’re going to want to protect your beautiful skin from the sun’s harmful rays. So what are you waiting for? Come down to the studio today to browse our sale selection.
Seasonal Discomfort? Relieve Symptoms with Ease
The doTERRA product of the month is something a little different: TriEase Softgels. These softgels protect against seasonal and environmental elements and promote a healthy respiratory system.
By combining powerful lemon, lavender and peppermint essential oils, TriEase cleanses, calms and encourages clear breathing. Plus, because it comes in softgel form, TriEase is easy to take wherever you are — at home, on the road or at the office.
If you’re impacted by seasonal discomfort, consider picking up a bottle of TriEase at the studio today.
Reduce Pain and Inflammation
Don’t suffer through discomfort and pain anymore, try LightForce Therapy Lasers.
Laser therapy treatment is safe, painless and fast. Deep Tissue Laser Therapy treatments are administered in 5 to 10 minutes. Typically patients see results after 3 to 5 treatment sessions. Deep Tissue Laser Therapy utilizes your body’s own healing powers by stimulating celluar activity.
We’re offering treatments at BeFit SRQ now with pricing as follows:
- 1 session — $70
- 3 sessions — $199
- 6 sessions — $348
- 10 sessions — $499
Schedule your sessions today!
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, we wanted to share a fabulous recipe with you that we just know you’ll want to make in honor of the occasion. This guacamole recipe is delicious and easy — and that’s the best kind of recipe, right?
It only has five ingredients:
- 15 ounces avocado, pitted and halved (from three medium avocados)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup red onion, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, mashed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the avocado pulp into a bowl and slightly mash with a fork. Leave some large chunks.
- Add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, red onion and garlic and mix well.
- If you’re eating the guacamole right away, serve immediately and enjoy. If you’re serving it later, cover it tightly with plastic wrap. Makes 2 cups.
Read more about this guacamole’s nutritional facts here. And don’t forget the sangria!
We’re Running into a Fun May!
The Sarasota Veg Fest on May 4 is a celebration of healthy, compassionate and eco-friendly living. Festivalgoers can expect to hear from speakers on issues including health, animal rights and vegan living. There will also be food demonstrations displaying how to make healthy vegan meals. Plus there will be live music, yoga classes and free massages. Count me in!
For a great night of music in the ballpark, get your tickets for Outdoor Pops: Women Rock. This Sarasota Orchestra outdoor concert will be held at Ed Smith Stadium on May 10 and 11. The event will be a tribute to the role of women in popular music. You’ll hear well-known tunes, from “Proud Mary” to “You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman.” The concert will conclude with an exciting fireworks display.
What better way is there to celebrate mothers and get in a good run at the same time than by participating in The Great Mother’s Day Race on May 11? This 5K run and walk will be held at Siesta Key Beach, so you’ll get to enjoy the beautiful waters and sugary sands of Siesta as you compete.
The Sup & Run 5K on May 25 includes not one, not two, but three races at Nathan Benderson Park. The event, put on by the Sarasota Athletic Association, benefits wounded veterans through the organization Operation Second Chance. Get out there and have a great day supporting a worthy cause!
Get ready for summer — it’s coming!