Spring into Action
The birds are singing, the flowers are blooming and spring is in the air. This season of rebirth and renewal is the perfect time to renew, well, you!
Let BeFit SRQ help you get back on track with your workouts. For those with a tight schedule, we offer 30-minute total body workouts that are customized just for you. Through these workouts you’ll build lean muscle and emerge sleeker and more defined. Come join us at the studio and get started!
Exercise of the Month: Focus on Posture
This month we are focusing on posture with our exercise of the month, the bent-over row. This exercise is considered to It’s also been known to build overall strength and muscle.
Here’s how to do it:
- Stand with legs shoulder-width apart. Hold a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your body.
- Bend over about 45 degrees, keeping your back as straight as you would for a deadlift or a squat.
- Keep your legs and dumbbells about shoulder-width apart.
- Brace your abdominals, keep your back straight and lift the weights straight up and then down again in a controlled manner.
- When you’re lifting, your arms shouldn’t go any higher than parallel with your shoulders. Slightly lower than your shoulders is fine. Breathe in to start and breathe out on effort.
- When you’re lifting, also try to keep your wrists from excessive extra movement down or to the side.
- Don’t squat down and up after the initial pose. There’s no movement of the legs during this exercise.
- Remain bent over until all of the repetitions are complete.
What a BeFit SRQ Client Has to Say
I am a yoga teacher who has discovered Michele’s wonderful skills as a trainer. She motivates and inspires as she assists you in your transformation.
~ Mary Kane
Eight Ways to Use Lime Oil
Lime oil is one of my favorite essential oils. The vibrant citrus oil has a clean, energizing aroma and can be used for cleaning, cooking and various health issues. I promise, once you start using lime oil, it will quickly become a staple in your daily routine.
Here are my eight favorite ways to use lime oil:
- Extra antioxidant and immune support. Add a drop of lime to your morning smoothie. To start, try this smoothie recipe and add a drop of lime to it.
- Spring fling diffuser blend. This blend will freshen the air and help you feel more relaxed. Just put three drops of lime, three drops of lavender and two drops of ylang ylang into a diffuser.
- Anxiety and sleep help. To calm anxiety or to lull you into a restful state, rub one drop of lime on your spine or on the back of your neck.
- Digestive support. If your digestive system is too slow, rub one drop of lime oil and one drop of DigestZen oil over your abdomen every day.
- Cleaning solution. To create an all-natural cleaning solution, put two drops of lime oil on a cotton pad and use it to remove sticky residue and grease spots. Or combine one cup of water, a half cup of organic vinegar and 10 drops of lime oil in a glass spray bottle and use it to clean your entire house.
- Cold, cough, sore throat and chest congestion aid. Put one to two drops of lime oil into a bowl of steaming water and inhale it. You can also mix a few drops with fractionated coconut oil and then rub it on your neck and chest.
- Joint pain relief. To get some relief from joint pain, rub one drop of lime oil and one drop of blue tansy oil over the area that hurts.
- Food and beverage flavor. To add some flavor to your meals, add a drop of lime oil to guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo, margaritas, lemonade, salad dressing or marinades. It’s so helpful to have a bottle of lime oil in the kitchen in the spring and summer.
Stop by the studio and purchase a bottle of doTERRA lime oil today!
The Sun is Shining – Don’t Hide From It!
The lovely weather we’ve been having lately means there’s more opportunity to enjoy outdoor activities. Protect yourself from the sun when your work out by wearing BloqUV sun protective apparel.
You can find BloqUV clothing at BeFit SRQ. Wear it and block 98% of the sun’s rays. The protection doesn’t wash away when you launder it, and the fabrics also have moisture-wicking and quick-dry properties. The next time you’re at the studio, explore the BloqUV products we carry in a rainbow of colors.
Here’s What You Need to Know About Protein
I get a lot of questions about protein. How much protein should I eat? What if I’m a vegetarian? What foods have protein?
To build muscle, you have to pay special attention to your protein intake. Here are some helpful numbers to remember: 1.4 to 2 g of protein/kg body weight/day (g/kg/d). Just remember, this depends on your body composition, activity type and activity intensity.
There’s been a lot of talk about specific amino acids and anabolic (muscle-building) superpowers. But it’s still important to consume different sources of protein and not just focus on a single protein source. (And don’t forget that your body needs carbs and fat, too.)
Don’t worry about when is the best time to eat your steak. Eating a portion of lean protein with some fiber-rich carbs and fat at every meal is a good way to help your body repair and rebuild muscle after resistance exercise. As much as possible, complement your exercise with the appropriate nutrients to promote muscle recovery and growth.
If you’re on a plant-based diet, make sure you’re incorporating a wide variety of protein-rich plants to ensure you’re getting the full range of amino acids. You may need to consider plant-based protein powder supplementation.
If you want to build muscle, consider how you’re consuming protein. If you want to monitor the muscle mass you’re building, schedule a body composition test at BeFit SRQ. We have a tool called the InBody 570 that will tell you lots of valuable information you can use to meet your goals.
My Picks for April
Come out to the Run for the Turtles 5K on Siesta Key on April 7. It’s a chance to have a fun morning while supporting the Sea Turtle Conservation and Research Program at Mote Marine Laboratory.
On April 13, join us for a Burns Court Historic District Sip, Shop and Stroll event. From 5 to 7 p.m., grab your friends and enjoy this festive happy hour with sweet specials from merchants in the district.
The 26th Annual Venice Shark’s Tooth Festival is April 13 to 15 at the Venice Airport Festival Grounds. Venice has been named the “Shark’s Tooth Capital of the World” because of all the teeth that wash up on the beaches. Collectors display and sell shark teeth at the festival, and artists from around the state sell their work. Plus there’s loads of food to eat and live music to listen to.
Sounds like a good time! See you out on the town.