Spring is here! As the sun shines more and more and the weather is warming up, it’s the perfect time to find fitness motivation. It’s easy to get outside when it’s this beautiful! We’re wishing you a lucky and happy St. Patrick’s Day this month, too.
Exercise of the Month: Step into Spring
This month, let’s focus on getting started. That first step is often more important than the routine you fall into, so here are a few ways to motivate yourself at the very beginning:
- Find your “why” — What’s your motivation to work out? Do you want to feel better? Improve your health? Are you making a change for the loved ones in your life? Focusing on your top reason will help you stay committed throughout your movement journey.
- Start small — If you do too much at the beginning, you may feel burnt out. Start by walking 15-20 minutes a few times per week. Not every exercise session needs to be a full hour of cardio-intensive work.
- Get Outside — That Sarasota sunshine we mentioned above is sure to fuel your motivation.
- Make a schedule — When you have time blocked off to exercise, it’ll be more difficult to come up with an excuse as to why you can’t do it.
- Grab a friend — Working out with friends is fun, and it gives you a built-in accountability partner to keep you on track.
- Get professional help — At BeFitSRQ, we’re always happy to help you make plans and stick to them, too.
For more great ways to get started this spring, check out this helpful post from Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Grilled Salmon with Starfruit Salsa
This light, tasty, and nutrient-dense meal is sure to become a staple in your spring rotation:
- 1 lb. wild salmon
- 1 ½ tsp. lime juice
- 1/16 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. of stevia or honey
- 1 star fruit, diced with seeds removed
- 1 jalepeño, minced with seeds removed
- 2 tbsp. diced red onion
- 2 tbsp. minced cilantro
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill and place salmon on paper towels to dry while you prep the ingredient list.
- Whisk together lime juice, salt, and stevia or honey in a small dish.
- Add star fruit, jalepeño, cilantro, and onion and stir gently to combine. Place this mix in the refrigerator until serving time.
- Season salmon with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place salmon on the preheated grill, turn the heat to low, and cover for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook for 3-4 more minutes or until it is fully cooked.
- Serve salmon topped with salsa and enjoy!
For the full recipe, click here.
And don’t forget about all of the health benefits star fruits have! We’re loving this delicious snack option this spring, what about you?
Saint Patrick’s Day Scents
Welcome the leprechauns this month with this bright and cheery diffuser blend from doTERRA.
Element Tree Essentials
Have you experienced our new lotion candles? They’ve been a huge hit. When you blow out the flame, you can dip your fingers into the wax and use it as a moisturizing and healing ointment for your skin. We have two sizes in store — 11-ounce for $30 and 3-ounce for $15 in a variety of scents.
Washing Your BloqUV Clothing
If you’ve been taking advantage of BloqUV or other UPF clothes, you may be wondering how to keep them clean. The washing routine is actually quite simple, adding to the benefits of these protective pieces once again.
- Check the label — BloqUV can be washed with water, while some other brands can’t.
- Rinse out after use — a quick cold rinse and ring will get sweat and spills out of your clothing right away, making it easier to wash later on.
- Wash by hand or on delicate — this helps to ensure they won’t shrink, stretch, or snag.
- Use mild detergent and dry on low heat.
For more tips on keeping your UPF clothing clean, skim through this post. And if you’re ever wanting more BloqUV, we’d be happy to help you find what you need.
Ready to try Laser Therapy?
As you get moving this spring, laser therapy can help to take away old aches and pains. In fact, this treatment style can help with:
- Arthritis and joint pain
- Cervical, lumbar, and sciatic pain
- Foot and lower extremity pain
- And more.
Perhaps the best benefit is its surgery-free, drug-free, and pain-free approach. Give us a call at BeFitSRQ to set up your first session today.
Exciting Upcoming Events
Enjoy the fresh spring air with the following fun, local events this month.
Beyond Van Gogh — An immersive art experience is coming to Sarasota — Beyond Van Gogh! This traveling exhibit features more than 300 of the artists’ masterpieces, 30,000 square feet to explore, and high-resolution digital experiences to see even more detail in Van Gogh’s creations.
The show opens on March 4th — you can learn more and reserve your tickets here.
Sarasota Jazz Festival — Head over to Nathan Benderson Park from March 13th to 19th an incredible, all-day Jazz experience. The action will start early with films, appearances, and other events, with top names hitting the stage under the stars.
Learn more about this free event here.
Rise & Run 5K — Another month, another 5K! Thai race supports the Sarasota Military Academy’s JROTC Raiders team. It takes off from Bayside Church bright and early March 12th at 7:30 AM.
You can register to walk or run on the event page here.
All in all, this spring serves as the perfect time to get back into your fitness routine. Try out these exercise tips, recipes, and events for added motivation, and let us know if we can help in any way!