Happy July! With the 4th just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to celebrate our freedom by moving our bodies in the ways that feel best for us.
Too many people dread holidays, worrying that they won’t be able to control themselves around all the yummy food. I want to encourage you to view the holidays as opportunities to try healthy new recipes, enjoy moving your body with friends and family… and, yes, indulge in tasty treats that enhance your mental and emotional health.
This month, I’ll be sharing tips, tricks, and resources that’ll help you to thrive physically, mentally, and emotionally… even amidst the busyness of Independence Day and Summer Travel!
Celebrate Freedom with Explosive, Mood-Boosting Movement
This HIIT workout consists of just FOUR high-intensity moves… you really can’t go wrong! Complete each movement back to back with short breaks in between rounds for 3-5 rounds. Get ready to SWEAT; this is a good one!
- Forward Leap with Half Turn: 8 Reps
- Lateral Scissor Jump: Four Reps on Each Side
- Cross Over Moving Lateral Push: Four Reps on Each Side
- Full Body Get Up: Four Reps on Each Side
If you need guidance on how to perform these movements, head over here to check out the full workout description!
Healthy Cookout Classics
Ready to host a killer Fourth of July Party… but not ready to throw your health and fitness goals out the window? I’ve got your back. Check out these healthy and delicious recipes, perfect for your Independence Day shindig (or, let’s be honest, any gathering on a hot summer day.)
Star-Spangled Parfaits: After your morning workout, grab a parfait to get the holiday started.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat raspberry walnut vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup fat-free vanilla or strawberry Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, optional
- Place strawberries and blueberries in separate bowls. Drizzle each with 2 teaspoons vinaigrette; toss to coat. In a small bowl, mix yogurt and mint.
- Spoon strawberries into 4 parfait glasses. Layer each with yogurt mixture and blueberries. If desired, top with coconut.
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches: These are sure to be a hit at any Independence Day gathering!
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Dill pickle slices, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the salsa, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve about 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each bun.
Are BBQ Chicken Sandwiches and Parfaits just not your thing? No worries! Browse Taste of Home’s exhaustive list of delicious Independence Day recipes here.
Let Freedom Ring with these Invigorating Scents for Summer
Stay Glowing This Summer: Wear Your Sunscreen
Heading to the beach this summer? Don’t forget to pack your beach bag with all the essentials for a sun-safe and enjoyable experience.
- When it comes to protecting your skin from harmful UV rays, choosing the right fabrics is crucial. Opt for UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) swimwear, rash guards, and cover-ups made from sun-safe materials to shield your skin. Remember to check clothing labels for UPF ratings to ensure adequate protection.
- Alongside sun-safe clothing, be sure to include wide-brimmed hats, sunglasses with UV protection, and accessories like umbrellas or sun shelters for extra shade.
- Sunscreen is always a must-have item, so don’t leave it behind! Select a broad-spectrum SPF (Sun Protection Factor) sunscreen with a high SPF rating and apply it generously and frequently to all exposed areas. Don’t forget often-neglected spots like the ears, lips, and feet. To protect your lips, bring along a lip balm with SPF.
By packing these sun-safe essentials, you’ll be well-prepared to enjoy the beach while minimizing the risk of sunburn and long-term skin damage. Stay protected and have a fantastic time under the sun; this Independence Day and beyond!
Enjoy a Summer Spa Day with Element Tree Essentials
More specifically, enjoy their top-selling scent: the Moroccan Sea Salt Lotion Candle. This luxurious lotion candle evokes memories of summers by the sea and melts to reveal a buttery soft lotion to soothe your skin after long days in the sun. This candle was crafted with natural essential oils, including cardamom seed oil, rosehip oil, and clove leaf oil to soothe your senses. Treat yourself or someone you love to this incredible product before the summer draws to a close!
Find Freedom from Chronic Pain
According to Plymouth Physical Therapy, “Lightforce laser therapy is a medical treatment that uses focused light to stimulate a process called photobiomodulation (PBM). During PBM, photons enter the tissue and trigger a biological cascade of events that leads to an increase in cellular metabolism, which can decrease pain and inflammation and accelerate the healing process.”
Let Freedom Ring: Let’s Celebrate Together
4th of July Fireworks – Choose from a multitude of locations to view fireworks with loved ones this year. Simply click here.
Summer Circus Spectacular – Don’t miss this incredible family-friendly show, running all the way up until August 12th.
Beat the heat at The Florida Studio Theater – Ready to get out of the sun and enjoy a good old-fashioned show with friends and family? So am I! The Florida Studio Theater has a variety of amazing shows running this month. Check out the complete roster here.
What are YOUR plans this month? Be sure to reach out and tell me!!