Can you believe it’s already labor day? I absolutely cannot, but I hope you and your loved ones have exciting plans. I know summer is drawing to a close, but I hope you’re still feeling excited to improve your health and wellness because I’ve got some amazing resources to share with you today!
Indulge in Restorative Rest This Weekend
While it’s still hot out, I understand that doing HIIT cardio outside might not be in the cards… but that doesn’t mean you can’t invest time and energy in your wellbeing! Why not try daily meditation, starting at just 5 minutes a day and slowly working your way up, for its many benefits? Meditation can be an excellent tool for tapping into your body’s innate wisdom and deepening any existing spiritual practices you may have.
Meditation is a thousands-year-old practice used through the ages both to connect with something bigger than oneself AND to aid in stress reduction. Its benefits include (but are certainly not limited to):
- Gaining a new perspective on stressful situations
- Building skills to manage your stress
- Increasing self-awareness
- Focusing on the present
- Reducing negative emotions
- Increasing imagination and creativity
- Increasing patience and tolerance
- Lowering resting heart rate
- Lowering resting blood pressure
- Improving sleep quality
Early research even suggests that meditation could help ease symptoms of the following conditions:
- Chronic pain
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Sleep problems
- Tension headaches
To learn more about the healing and soothing powers of this age-old tool, check out this article from Mayo Clinic.
Taste the Harvest: Our Favorite Late Summer Meals
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound tri-tip sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 32 chunks
- 16 button mushrooms
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small bell pepper (any color), cut into 16 pieces
- 16 (1 inch) chunks red onion
- Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, oregano, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Skewer beef, mushrooms, tomatoes, bell pepper pieces, and onion chunks, alternating evenly, on 8 metal or wooden skewers. Place the kebabs in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and pour the marinade over them. Refrigerate (or store in a cooler packed with ice) for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove the kebabs from the dish; discard the marinade. – Grill the kebabs, turning once, to the desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes total. To grill over your campfire, hold the skewers over the flames (but do not let the flames touch the food), turning regularly, until the meat is cooked to your liking, about 15 minutes for medium.
- 3 slices bacon
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- ½ cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon fat.
- Chop the bacon when cool enough to handle.
- Whisk sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper, and the reserved bacon fat together in a large bowl.
- Add broccoli, scallions, cheese and the chopped bacon. Stir to coat with the dressing.
If these recipes weren’t your jam, don’t sweat it. Head over to this fantastic article to learn more delicious recipes to fuel your body and please your palate as we transition from summer to fall.
Wrap up your summer with doTERRA Sun!
We’ve got you covered for all your Labor Day celebrations (and beyond)
Stay Protected from the Late Summer Sun with BloqUV
(We promise, your tan won’t disappear overnight!)
We all know that UV rays have the capacity to darken our skin. However, have you ever wondered WHY this phenomenon occurs so predictably?
UV light is invisible to our eyes, and it penetrates our skin all day, every day (even when it’s overcast.) Luckily, our bodies produce a clever little pigment called melanin that acts as a first line of defense against these harmful rays. According to BloqUV, “Melanogenesis is the process by which our bodies produce melanin. When our skin is exposed to increased UV radiation, the melanocytes get into action and step up the production of melanin.”
We each have a unique tolerance for sun exposure, and it’s certainly not unhealthy to spend some quality time with your loved ones in the sunshine! However, be sure to stay protected. Both sunscreen and UV protective clothing are excellent lines of defense against the damage that UV rays can inflict.
To grab your late summer sun protection essentials today, check out our BloqUV collection!
Savor the Sweet Smells of Summer with Element Tree Essentials
You guys, I don’t know if I’ve ever been more thrilled to share a product recommendation with you. This one is sure to transport you back to the sweet, bright moments from this summer, even as the kids head back to school.
Introducing…The Element Tree Essentials Grapefruit Sorbet Lotion Candle! This candle treats us to the sweet scent of “sun-kissed grapefruits as they awaken your senses with their zesty and invigorating essence.” What’s more, it’ll fit perfectly into your meditation practice! Simply burn the candle as you relax into your meditation and hop into your morning shower, then use the sweet and buttery melted lotion to hydrate your skin.
I mean, come on. Can you imagine a better ritual to start off the day?
Finish The Summer Strong and Healthy with Laser Therapy!
Laser therapy is such a thrilling new scientific development for pain relief, and I always get lots of questions about it (specifically pertaining to our friends at LightForce Medical) … so I thought we could do a little FAQ!
Is Laser Therapy Painful?
Lasers cannot penetrate clothing and must be applied directly to skin, creating a warm and soothing sensation. Many LightForce patients actually report loving their experience, comparing it to a massage!
Is Laser Therapy Safe?
Laser Therapy was officially approved as a safe treatment for chronic pain by the FDA in 2004; nearly 20 years ago. Further research shows that the primary risk during Laser Therapy is to the eyes, which is why all LightForce patients are equipped with protected eyewear.
Ready to try Laser Therapy for yourself? Come on by today and ask about how Laser Therapy can serve your wellness journey.
Lean Into Community this Labor Day
Jim Breuer’s True Breu Weekend Comedy & Community: Enjoy a fantastic time with friends and a good laugh on September 16th at the Art Ovation in Sarasota. It’s sure to be a blast!
Sarasota Opera Food & Wine Festival: Save $10 on your ticket when you purchase in advance at the Sarasota Opera Food and Wine Festival, coming up September 23rd at the Sarasota Opera House.
Bill’s Beer Run: This incredible run sells out every year, so be sure to get signed up now! This year’s Beer Run is coming up on October 29th.
Be sure to reach out and share any exciting health and wellness discoveries YOU made over the summer, and don’t forget to come in and say hi at BeFitSRQ in Sarasota!