It’s December, which this year is bringing us both Hannuka and Christmas! I’m so excited to hunker down with friends and family, enjoy *several* cups of hot cocoa, and blast festive tunes all day. As excited as I am, I’m reminded that so many of us find ourselves feeling guilty for the rest and extra fun that we indulge in during the holiday season. In this newsletter, I’d like to share with you my best resources for leaning into rest as a nourishing practice and maintaining a healthy lifestyle throughout the holiday season.
Top Tips for Prioritizing Fitness During The Holidays
A big part of staying healthy during any season, as we all know, is staying active. However, when you’re enjoying mornings that melt rapidly into evenings with close family and friends, it can be a challenge to fit in intentional movement. Here are some top tips for making it happen, even when it’s a challenge:
Plan your workouts ahead of time
You can do this by looking up gyms in the area you’re staying in and requesting day passes; you can also plan for workouts that don’t require much time or equipment. You don’t need to be hitting 6 workouts per week; aim for consistency over perfection.
Make working out convenient
From lacing up your tennis shoes every morning so that you can squeeze in a run or packing resistance bands in your bag, there are numerous ways to look out for yourself and set yourself up for fitness success.
Take advantage of downtime
Staying active doesn’t have to mean a workout- it could mean getting some cleaning done, enjoying an outdoor walk, or organizing a flag football game with the kids. The opportunities are limitless!
Healthy holiday recipes to wow the whole family
Nothing screams winter like squash, and I’ve got you covered with some delicious and nutritious squash-based recipes. Don’t worry, though. If squash isn’t you’re thing, you can find some yummy and healthy holiday recipes here!
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped shallot
- 1 tbsp. Lem
- on zest, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 lb. zucchini, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb. yellow squash, very thinly sliced
- 4 oz. ricotta
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Unfold puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper and roll to a 12- by 9 1/2-inch rectangle; slide pastry and parchment paper onto a baking sheet. Score a 1-inch border all the way around pastry and prick inside border with a fork. Brush border with egg. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Whisk together shallot, lemon juice, and oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add sliced zucchini and squash and toss to combine. Let stand until softened, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Combine ricotta, goat cheese, and lemon zest in a separate bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spread on top of puff pastry. Top with zucchini-squash mixture. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves. Serve immediately.
- 2 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. apple cider
- 1 1/2 tbsp. whole-grain mustard
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh-flat parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss squash and onion with 2 tablespoons oil on two rimmed baking sheets. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, rotating pans once, until golden brown and tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring cider to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer until liquid has reduced to 3 tablespoons, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, reduced cider, and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley.
Drizzle squash and onion with vinaigrette just before serving.
Are you ready to get festive with your home scents
Check out the latest and greatest essential oil blends from doTERRA…
There’s nothing like a holiday scented candel that doubles as a nourishing body lotion…
…. And I think they make the perfect gift! From Island Balsam to Ginger Pumpkin, Element Tree Essentials has the mouth watering scents to spice up your space and the nourishing ingredients to keep your skin smooth and nourished this winter. Get your limited edition small batch holiday candles at the studio.
Reminders for your snowy adventures
Did you know that one of the easiest times to get a sunburn is in the snow?! That’s right, the sun reflects off of the snow and can burn your skin even more easily than on some hot summer days. If you’re planning to prioritize skincare in the new year, get a head start now by getting your hands on some sun protective gear. If you have a loved one who enjoys time outdoors, be sure to snag them the perfect holiday gift before it’s too late.
Don’t forget about YOU this holiday season!
From family celebrations to buying plane tickets to scrambling to get everyone’s gifts under the tree on time, it can be easy to forget about YOU during the holiday season. This is your friendly reminder that you can’t pour from an empty cup. If you’ve been feeling depleted, sore and stressed, it’s time to get the TLC you need.
Come in this week to receive laser therapy, or pick up a gift card to make the day more relaxing for a friend during this busy season. We can’t wait to see you here!
With the holiday season well underway, we have some exciting local events to plan for! Some of them include…
From November 18th to January 3rd, the park at st Armand’s circle will be transformed into a beautiful winter wonderland. Don’t miss this beautiful display, and be sure to bring the kiddos in your life!
On December 1st, 8th and 15th from 5-8 PM, enjoy local performers for the US Marine Corps Reserve Toys For Tots benefitting Sarasota and Manatee counties. Admission is free with an unwrapped holiday gift!
Enjoy this yearly 5k holiday beach run solo or with the support of friends and family! Participation for adults costs $40.
Of course, I’d be remiss if I didn’t share that BeFitSRQ is offering GIFT CARDS this holiday season. There’s no better gift for the new year ahead than a healthy and fit lifestyle, and we have all the amenities to get your loved ones started strong and help them stay on track. Come in today to pick up your gift card now!
I hope you enjoy every moment of the festivities ahead with those you love and I can’t wait to hear about your holiday highlight reel! In the meantime, don’t forget to stay balanced, healthy, and joyful during this season.