It’s spooky season, guys! I don’t know about you, but something about crunchy leaves and the slightly cooler air gets me excited to take a run outside. It’s also the perfect season to find delicious warming recipes for the whole family to enjoy! There’s often a narrative that Spring and Summer are the best seasons to prioritize your fitness routine and watch your diet, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. This month, I’m so excited to share with you all of the ways I love to bring fitness and balance into my autumn routine
Exercise of the Month: New To Running? Start Here!
There’s nothing better than the crunch of autumn leaves under your feet as you enjoy a jog outdoors in October. It’s not too warm, at least not in the morning, and it’s always great to know that you’re proactively caring for your health as you gear up for the holidays.
If you’re not a runner, it’s important to get a check-up from your primary care physician prior to beginning your running journey. Once you’ve been cleared, be sure to stretch before and after your runs and listen to your body! You can always push yourself further on your next run, but if you overextend yourself, you could end up sustaining an injury that could set your progress back.
Here are some tips to remember if you’re ready to get started. While running is an amazing form of exercise, it can be helpful to include strength training in your program as well so that you can build strong bones and muscles to support you as you jog.
Have a Happy & Healthy Halloween
Staying healthy during the holidays is always possible, but is it really any fun on a holiday like Halloween when the whole point is to enjoy sweet treats and watch scary movies?
Spoiler alert: it is possible! It’s all about embracing balance, not falling victim to perfectionism, and being kind to your body and mind. These recipes are sure to help you along the way:
Cranberry Cinnamon Roasted Delicata Squash
For the Squash
- 2.2 lbs delicata squash, about 3 chubby ones
- ⅔ tsp coarse sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼+⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 1.5 tbsp mayo, I use tessemae’s
- 4 tbsp unsweetened plain yogurt, plant-based or full fat for keto
- ¼ tsp coarse sea salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 0.14 oz garlic grated
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice to taste
Handful baby arugula
Salt & Pepper to taste
Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice to taste
Small handful of dried cranberries and golden raisins, optional or toasted nuts
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Scrub the delicata squash clean, pat dry, and dice into ½-inch rounds (length-wise).
- Scoop out the seeds and remove the stringy parts using a grapefruit spoon.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the squash with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and olive oil. Coat well.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Spread the squash out in a single layer over the sheet. Bake in a middle rack for about 20 minutes on the first side and flip the rinds to bake for 8-10 minutes additional.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce in one bowl. Cover and set aside in the fridge. In a mixing bowl, Toss the arugula with salt pepper to taste and drizzle with oil and lemon juice.
- To serve, spread the arugula over a large serving platter. Place the roasted delicata squash all over. Sprinkle with cranberries and raisins, if using. Drizzle with a touch of sauce over the squash or serve it on the side to pass around the table. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 Kiwi
- 2 pretzel sticks (and thicker “dipping sticks,” if desired)
- 2 mini chocolate chips or dried wild blueberries
- Slice one end off the kiwi so the kiwi sits upright and flat.
- Beginning at the cut end of the kiwi, use a vegetable peeler to remove some of the kiwi’s fuzzy skin. As you get toward the top third of the kiwi, pull the kiwi’s skin away in little jagged bits so that the skin remaining at the top of the kiwi will look like messy Frankenstein hair.
- For the mouth: Break a pretzel stick into a small piece (roughly about 1/2″ to 3/4″ long), and gently push that piece lengthwise into your kiwi to make a mouth.
- For the bolts: Break another pretzel stick (or a thicker pretzel “dipping stick”), so you have two end pieces that are each about 1/2″ long. Shove those into your kiwi (broken end first), one low on each side of your kiwi, to form the bolts in your Frankenstein’s neck.
- For the eyes: Use two chocolate chips or two dried wild blueberries for eyes, gently pushing each into position above the pretzel mouth.
If you’re looking for some even sweeter Halloween treats, head over here to find some delicious & nutritious desserts.
doTERRA: Spooky Halloween Blends
doTERRA is fully stocked with some exciting new blends for the season ahead! Get energized with their new “Trick Or Treat” blend or mellow with “Monster Mash.”
Aromatherapy is known to be effective for easing anxiety, promoting healthy sleep, and aiding in recovery from coughs or colds. If you’re ready for some oily fun this season, stop by to grab these incredible new blends.
Element Tree Essentials
Autumn is the perfect time to treat yourself to a day of self-care. Why not curl up on the couch with a yummy fall snack, watch your favorite scary movie, and nourish your body from the outside in with an Element Tree Essentials lotion candle? These incredible candles provide not only a wonderful ambiance but also buttery & warm body lotion when they melt. Come in and grab yours today!
BloqUV: Best UV Protection for Disc Golf
The summer and fall months are perfect for outdoor activities such as disc golf, boating, frisbee, or horseback riding. That means that during these months, you’ll likely be spending more time than usual absorbing the sun’s harmful rays. Luckily, BloqUV has your back with protective clothing you can wear all year long to guard your skin from the sun. Some of our favorites include:
Polo Shirts: Turn this closet staple into a strategic way to block UV exposure!
Spring/ Fall Tops For Women: BloqUV knows that during the summer and fall, the weather can be unpredictable. That’s why they’ve got you covered (no pun intended) with moisture-wicking layers that can easily be styled for a variety of activities.
Sun Sleeves: These nifty sleeves are not only protective but moisture-wicking too! They’re perfect for all outdoor activities that take place when the sun is high in the sky.
Bandanas: How could we forget about this western classic? A bandana isn’t just a fashion statement; it’s the perfect tool to protect your head from the sun’s harmful rays!
Men’s long-sleeved moisture-wicking & collared tees: As the seasons change, it’s important to have some cooler weather options for sun protection! BloqUV has a variety of men’s tees to choose from, whatever the weather.
Women’s Capris and Capri Shorts: Capris and capri shorts are coming back! Get ahead of the trend and grab yours today.
Kids Crew Neck Tops: If you’re looking to get the kiddos out of the house and into nature, don’t forget to protect them from the sun!
Laser Therapy for Runners
I told you how much I love running and shared some tips on how you can get started… but what if you run into injuries or aches and pains along the way?
Lucky for you, BeFitSRQ has a simple solution: Laser Therapy! We offer Laser Therapy for joint pain, tension, and optimal recovery. Runners love Laser Therapy specifically because it can help with:
- TFL/ITB Tightness
- Runner’s Knee
- Maximizing performance, minimizing downtime
Stop in today and set up an appointment!
Spooky October Events
Everyone’s favorite local race is back! Bill’s Beer Run, a fundraiser to benefit local student-athletes, will be held throughout the month at various times and prices that you can find here. Tie up your tennis shoes and get running for a good cause!
Enjoy a spooky light display at 6:30 or 7:45 PM from October 14th-31st at the historic Spanish Point Campus.
10 Days at The Bay kicks off from October 14 – October 23! With more than 90 FREE events, there’s something for everyone to do, including family fun days, food and cultural festivals, headlining musical acts by We The Kings and Etana, Boo! at The Bay Halloween, Sarasota’s first Parktoberfest, and more. Click here for a list of events.
Enjoy delicious food, live music, and beer galore at Sarasota Rocktoberfest! Join local musicians and vendors from October 14th-16th for this free family-friendly event.
I hope this newsletter helped to motivate you for the spooky season ahead. Remember that balance is your best friend whenever you’re on a fitness journey around the holidays.s You deserve to treat yourself, just don’t let it derail your progress.