Happy Fourth of July! We hope you’re ready for fun celebrations filled with food, family, and firework shows. Let’s stick to our goals while enjoying the holiday by continuing to move our bodies and making healthier choices whenever we can.
Low Impact Summer Workouts
Each month I try to establish movement that you can easily incorporate into your daily routines. Remember exercise is the key to longevity! This month check out these fun, low impact movements to stay fit over the course of these hot summer months:
- Water Aerobics — A cooling, challenging workout to complete when the sun is just too hot to bear.
- Dancing — Put on your dancing shoes and find a ballroom dancing class, salsa is everyone’s favorite.
- Get Gardening — Yes, even pulling out weeds can benefit your health, allowing you to care for your plants and yourself at the same time.
For more great exercise options, check out this helpful post.
Independence Day Eats
Don’t miss out on the family cookout — bring a healthier dish to enjoy with your loved ones instead. Below are a few fun foods to enjoy in the sun this Fourth of July:
- 3.5-4 pound chicken (whole), cut into 6-8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste, double concentrated
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, unseasoned
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add garlic until cooked
- Add tomato paste and mix over heat for 3-4 minutes
- Add all sauces and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 more minute
- Remove sauce from heat and store about half for later
- Grill chicken for 18-25 minutes, browning both sides before lowering the heat
- Baste chicken with barbeque sauce on the grill and continue cooking until well-done
- Serve chicken hot with leftover sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Want a refreshing drink to enjoy outside this holiday? Look no further — this Minty Limeade is sure to hit the spot on a hot summer’s day.
- 4 limes, juiced
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- ½ c. sugar
- About 3 cups fresh mint leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 12-ounce can of chilled soda water
- Mix lemon and lime juice, sugar, salt, and mint leaves, and lime wedges in a large pitcher.
- Use a large spoon to press leaves and fruit, then stir until all ingredients are mixed well
- Pour juice into glasses with ice and top with soda water.
Bring the holiday feel into your home with the following Fourth of July diffuser blends:
Bloquv for kids
Did you know Bloquv isn’t just for adults? This line of UPF clothing is designed to protect the entire family, children included. In fact, the technology provides simpler, easier-to-apply sun protection for the little ones in your life.
Bloquv for kids provides:
An easier application process
A comfortable feel for kids of all ages
Stop by BeFitSRQ to grab Bloquv clothes for your little ones today.
Say Goodbye to Arthritis the Easy Way
Did you know arthritis pain can be improved without surgery?
Aquatic therapy, closed chain exercises, and stretching can all reduce the discomfort you feel on a daily basis.
For the most difficult cases, Laser Therapy is an effective choice. This treatment method is non-invasive and painless, and it’s been proven to improve the aches and pains that come along with arthritis.
If you’d like to try Laser Therapy for your arthritis pain, feel free to reach out at any time. We’d be happy to help you begin your journey toward pain-free living.
Exciting Upcoming Events
Enjoy the holiday season and warm, sunny weather with these fun happenings in our community:
Fourth of July Celebrations
Sarasota will soon be filled with ways to celebrate Independence Day. From the Waves and Wheels Kickoff Party at the fairgrounds to the July 4th Parade and Bayfront Fireworks, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
You can view a full list of holiday events here.
Songs on the Circle
On the first Tuesday of every month from 6-9 pm, St. Armands Circle will be filled with incredible live music to take in while you eat, shop, or walk.
Find more about this recurring event here.
Beat the Heat at the Theatre
Enjoy the air conditioning, as well as an incredible show, at the Florida Studio Theatre. A full list of show lineups can be found here.
Stay cool and stick to your goals this month, and don’t forget to enjoy the holiday along the way. BeFitSRQ is here to support you and your health goals however we can!