Summer is officially here! The sun is shining its brightest, school’s out, and many festivities are just around the corner. This month, we’re wishing all the dads a Happy Father’s Day! Let’s keep our bodies moving, growing closer to accomplishing our fitness goals every single day.
Exercise of the Month: Meditation
Exercise isn’t just about exertion. And with our current temperatures, you may need to find creative ways to get your workout in without overheating. We’re suggesting you give meditation a try
Whether you’re walking, jogging, lifting, or practicing yoga, meditation can be added to your workout:
- Unplug completely — turn off your music and devices, and focus on how you feel.
- Consider your purpose — why are you exercising? How far have you come in accomplishing this goal?
- How do you feel? — tap into the sensations within your body and all around you. Do you feel your muscles stretching or growing stronger? Is the wind grazing your skin? The hot sun hitting your face?
- Breathe — focus on taking deep breaths. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale.
- Accept where you’re at — notice where you are and how you feel, whether that is your favorite place or least, and whether you feel strong or sore. Embrace the good in every space.
These exercises will help you become more mindful throughout your workout, whether intense or easy. They support your mind as you strengthen your body. Give them a try and let us know what you think!
Tasty Summer Recipes
Balsamic Grilled Steak Salad with Peaches
- 1 pound trimmed skirt steak
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large lemon
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 2 sliced peaches
- ⅓ cup feta or blue cheese, crumbled
- Combine steak, vinegar, garlic, and brown sugar in a plastic bag and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat the grill or grill pan.
- Remove steak from marinade and coat with vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Grill until your desired doneness.
- Make your dressing by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add arugula, peaches, cheese, steak, and dressing to a large bowl and gently toss together. Enjoy!
Bruschetta Grilled Chicken
- 4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt, pepper, and parmesan to taste
- To marinate chicken, combine oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Pour into a plastic bag and place chicken inside for 30 minutes.
- Grill the chicken for approximately 5-7 minutes per side, or until the outside is charred and the internal temperature surpasses 165 degrees F.
- Combine garlic, basil, and remaining lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 1 slice of cheese on top of each chicken breast while still on the grill, and then top with the tomato mixture.
- Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
To find the full recipes for these meals, and to discover more delicious and healthy summer eats, check out this list.
Summer Scents with doTERRA
Bring summer scents into your home with these wonderful, warm weather diffuser blends from doTERRA!
Element Tree Essentials
And speaking of summer — how is your skin holding up? Keep your entire body smooth and hydrated with our unique Element Tree Essentials lotion candles. You can pick yours up at BeFitSRQ today!
BloqUV’s Guide to Pickleball Clothing
Are you playing pickleball this season? Bloquv may have you covered when it comes to match-day clothing! The sun-conscious company recommends:
- Moisture-wicking tops and bottoms
- UPF clothing
- Wide-toed, full-grip tennis shoes
- A hat and sunglasses for added UV protection
And Bloquv’s clothes aren’t just good for pickleball — they can be worn all year long when you spend time in the sun. Does dad need a new beach shirt or two for Father’s Day, by chance?
Shop our collection at Bloquv in person to avoid shipping delays!
Laser Therapy for Dads
If dad has aches and pains that just won’t go away, laser therapy could be a good gift, too.
Our painless, drug-free support can help with:
- Back pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Past injuries like sprains and strains
- Foot and ankle pain
- Arthritis and joint pain
- And so much more
Contact our team to set up your first session, or purchase a gift card, today!
Exciting Upcoming Events
Last but not least, summer is one of the best times to get out and about. Enjoy these fun activities in the community this month. There’s something for everyone in the family to enjoy!
Kids’ Summer Beach Runs
From June 7th to July 26th, your kiddos can take part in a free, 1-mile race most Tuesdays and Wednesdays. They’ll earn a t-shirt, a free meal voucher, and a 50% off kids shoes coupon from New Balance Sarasota after 4 runs.
For race addresses, more information, and registration links, click here.
The Circus Arts Conservatory and The Ringling are joining forces once again to offer family-friendly, world-class entertainment this year! The show runs from June 10th to August 13th at 11 am and 2 pm, Tuesdays through Fridays.
Enjoy the Circus Museum after the show for just $5 more!
Van Wezel’s Friday Fest
Friday Fest is back! Stop by Van Wezel weekly from 5 pm to 9 pm for live music, dancing, and a line of local food and beverage vendors.
Are you ready to jump into summer fun? Try the workouts and recipes above, and get out and about with a fun community event or two. Don’t forget to take some time to celebrate the dads in your life this month, and remember we’re here to support your wellness goals in any way we can!