Exercise Tips, Protein Hints, March Specials & More
This month’s BeFit SRQ newsletter is chock full of helpful info for your health and wellness journey. Discover the benefits of balance training and yoga, the importance of protein as we age, what a client has to say about her experience at BeFit SRQ and lots more. So get reading!
Exercise of the Month: Balance Training Exercises
Are you up for the challenge? Consider adding balance training exercises to your regular fitness routine. There are so many benefits you’ll begin to reap:
- Strength grows through balance training because the exercises are challenging for your nervous system. When you lift weights, your nervous system recruits your muscles to help, so when that system becomes more efficient it can recruit a higher percentage of your muscle for each lift and make you stronger.
- Power is your ability to exert maximum muscular contraction instantly through an explosive burst of movement. Power has two components – strength and speed – so developing a quicker reaction time and stronger muscles helps you increase your power as well.
- Agility is how quick and nimble you are. It’s your ability to change the direction of your body in an efficient manner. To achieve agility requires a combo of balance, speed, strength and coordination. So the better your balance, the more likely you’ll have good agility.
Expert Advice: The Importance of Protein as You Age
Many people believe that as you get older, your metabolism slows down along with your ability to engage in activities. Although, there are certain things that do change in the body as we get older the biggest factor in maintaining both your metabolism and overall functioning is the amount of muscle you have. The amount of muscle you maintain is predominately within your control. This fact can have an enormous impact on maintaining your quality of life. Muscle is your most precious asset.
Consuming protein at the right time, in appropriate amount from the best source can be your strongest weapon to support your bodies’ ability to maintain or increase muscle mass as you age. In research, spreading your protein out to 30 grams at all three meals was superior to consuming 90 grams at Dinner. This is the equivalent to about 4 ounces of protein. Finally, not all protein is created equal in its ability to be utilized to build or maintain muscle. Tomorrow morning, consider having some eggs (a top protein source) for Breakfast and see how great and strong you feel all day!
MS, RDN, LDN – Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Learn the Essentials of Essential Oils
We’re glad people have been picking up on the amazing advantages of using essential oils. The many doTERRA essential oils we offer at the studio can provide help with a variety of health and wellness needs.
If you’ve never experienced essential oils, come by the studio to check out our selection and to take our BeFit SRQ class on the benefits of essential oils. You’ll leave knowing how you can incorporate essential oils into your life to start feeling better right away!
Contact the studio for upcoming class times.
Here’s What a BeFit SRQ Client Has to Say
“When I started training with Michelle, I was very far from fit. Slowly but surely this fitness routine started helping me not just with my strength but with my attitude as well. I started taking her advice about drinking more water and moving more. She is very careful to help me with my physical challenges and is very upbeat and motivating. I owe much of my success so far to training with Michelle for five years at BeFit SRQ. I don’t intend to stop!”
Need Another Reason to do Yoga? We’ve Got Three
If you really need another reason to sign up for a yoga class at the BeFit SRQ studio with Mary, we’ve got you covered. Here are three reasons why you absolutely should try yoga:
- Stress Relief – Yoga reduces the physical effects of stress on the body by encouraging relaxation and lowering levels of the stress hormone cortisol. It also lowers your blood pressure and heart rate, improving digestion and boosting the immune system.
- Better Breathing – Yoga teaches people to take slower, deeper breaths. Breathing in this way helps to improve your lung function and also triggers your body’s relaxation response.
- Better Body Alignment – Yoga helps improve body alignment, which results in better posture and can help relieve back, neck, joint and muscle problems.
Mary’s semi-private ashtanga gentle flow yoga class is held every Wednesday at noon. And if you’re a little intimidated by the class atmosphere, try a private, one-on-one class with Mary.
How Acupuncture Can Benefit You
Not sure if acupuncture can help you? Take a look at this image to find out what kinds of ailments acupuncture can treat.
Book an acupuncture appointment with Florida-licensed acupuncture physician Dr. Hsin Hsin Hu today. Just call 941-587-6311.
Spring Forward and Run Like the Wind
It’s almost here! Daylight Saving Time starts on March 12, so don’t forget to set your clocks forward an hour.
And the day before, head out to First Christian Church on Clark Road for the Life in the Son 5K/10K. It’s a Manasota Track Club point race, so we hope to see you out there!
Offers You Won’t Want to Miss
Do you love BeFit SRQ? Then spread the word! This month, if you refer a friend to BeFit SRQ, you’ll receive a free personal training session. So turn a friend or family member onto your best wellness tool today!
In March, all BloqUV sun protective apparel is 20 percent off. Stock up before the summer heat starts to beat down.