I don’t know about you, but I can’t believe it’s already the month of Memorial Day, Mother’s Day & Cinco De Mayo. We’ve got so many exciting holidays coming up to celebrate with loved ones, and it saddens me to know how many people view holidays as a roadblock in their fitness journey. I like to look at holidays from the opposite perspective, as opportunities to find new ways of having FUN with your workouts and healthy cooking.
I’ve compiled some exciting resources that I think illustrate this perspective wonderfully. I hope you find them inspiring and that you soak up every special moment with friends and family this month. Remember, fitness is something to celebrate, not a chore that needs to stop you from having fun.
In honor of Memorial Day…
The Famous “Murph Workout” is one of the most well known Crossfit® workouts. It was an all-time favorite of Navy Lieutenant & Medal of Honor recipient Michael Murphy, who was killed in Afghanistan on June 28th, 2005, at the young age of 29. You can modify the Murph to match your level of fitness, but remember to challenge yourself! You won’t achieve new results inside your comfort zone, so I encourage you to push for a few more reps or a quicker speed than you’d normally try.
Okay, enough from me. Here’s what you’re doing to shoot for:
- 1-mile run
- 100 pull-ups
- 200 push-ups
- 300 squats
- 1-mile run
The Murph can be cut in half or even into quarters for beginners and can also be modified by swapping the runs for walks or jumping jacks.
Healthy Holiday Recipes
Looking to impress mom this Mother’s Day? Try these healthy recipes!
- 1 cup milk I used oat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup raisins
- Pinch of salt
- Put all ingredients, except raisins, into the blender and mix at high speed until you get a smooth texture. Note: add wet ingredients first for easier blending.
- Taste the pancake batter and add additional sweetener if you think the mixture is not sweet enough.
- Add raisins to the batter and mix with a spoon or spatula.
- Let the batter rest for a few minutes. Oats will soak some of the moisture, and the batter will become denser. Don’t mix batter after resting.
- Heat the pancake pan over medium heat and coat with coconut oil cooking spray or coconut oil using the brush.
- For each pancake, drop ¼ cup of batter into the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes until pancake is lightly browned.
- Flip the pancake carefully with a flexible silicone spatula and cook for another minute. Transfer to a plate.
- Make sure to coat the pan before every pancake or batch of pancakes to prevent sticking.
- Repeat the process with the remaining pancake batter.
- Add toppings and serve.
Celebrating Cinco De Mayo this year? Treat your loved ones to this delicious & classic Mexican dish!
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 banana pepper, finely diced (you could also use a jalapeno or bell pepper)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 6 oz. Archer Farms Crumbled Mexican Chicken, you can substitute seasoned sauteed ground chicken or turkey
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 2 oz. Manchego cheese shredded (you can substitute a different sharp cheese)
- 1/4 c. Cilantro chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Meanwhile, spray each side of the tortillas with non-stick pan spray. In a large skillet over high heat, add four of the tortillas and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, just until slightly browned. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Set aside. In that same skillet add the onion and peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl toss together the chicken, onions, peppers, tomato, spices and half the can of enchilada sauce.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture over each tortilla and roll up. Arrange the rolled tortillas in a sprayed 8×10 pan.
- Cover the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce and the shredded cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes covered. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and serve immediately.
Set the tone for your Mother’s Day celebration
with these incredible new blends from doTERRA!
UV Clothing as a Part of Your Skincare Routine
If you’re anything like me, you’ve got your skincare routine DOWN; I mean, who doesn’t love trying new serums, eye creams, and lip balms?
What many of us forget, however, is that caring for the skin on our bodies is just as important as caring for the skin on our faces! It may sound daunting, but BloqUV has us covered with beautiful sun-protective clothing.
Here’s how you can use it to your advantage during outdoor celebrations this month:
- Look for UPF 50+ fabric
- Find the Apparel That’s Right for You
- Continue to Wear Sunscreen
- Replace Your UV Protective Clothing as Needed
Ready to protect your skin but NOT down to wear head-to-toe sun protective gear this summer? Don’t sweat it; get your toes wet with these adorable sun-protective accessories.
Still, looking for a Mother’s Day gift?
Treat mom to a luxurious lotion candle (guys, it’s literally a candle that melts to create a smooth, buttery, and warm lotion perfect for a spa day or after a long shower.) Element Tree Essentials just released the most perfect Lavender Fields candle for the spring.
Looking to gift your Mom an *experience* this year? I’ve got you!
Give her the gift of laser therapy to relief any nagging pains.
Upcoming May Events
Outdoor Pops, Dancing in the Street: Music of Motown
On May 5th & 6th, enjoy the sounds of the Motown era transformed into a “symphonic experience” by the Sarasota Orchestra. Learn more and grab YOUR ticket here!
Sup & Run
At 8 AM sharp on May 6, join our community in Nathan Benderson Park for a 5k run, walk, or paddleboard sup!
I hope your May brings joy, celebration, and a sense of ease in your health and fitness journey. I can’t wait to hear how you’re doing, and I hope you drop by BefitSRQ soon!!