As the flora around us springs into bloom, it’s time to celebrate the spring holidays of Easter & Passover with some fresh new recipes and movement to celebrate our bodies and make us feel our best going into the summer months. If you’ve been hoping to make this spring a new beginning in your fitness journey, you’re in luck!
Arm Exercises without Weights: How to Slim Arms Fast
No time for the gym today? No problem! Achieve the sculpted arms you dream of with these killer moves from the comfort of your own home.
- Arm circles: Extend your arms at a 90 degree angle to your body and perform as many small, controlled circles as you can! Be sure to keep your back straight, and feel free to adjust the placement of your hands in order to target your shoulders and biceps respectively.
- Tricep dips: While sitting in a chair, grip the edge of your seat with your hands and extend your legs in front of you. Slowly lower your legs and torso to the ground and push back up again… imagine you’re doing a push-up but facing the opposite direction!
- Inverted Rows: Lie on the ground, grip a sturdy desk or chair, and pull your body off the floor! This movement targets your biceps, which is a great muscle group to work if you want to create that “toned” look in your upper arm.
- Push-ups: You know the drill! If you’re having trouble, try lowering your knees and upper thighs onto the ground and pushing up only the weight of your upper body.
- Plank: Position yourself with your arms directly beneath your shoulders and hold your body still with your spine neutral. If you’re up for a challenge, lower yourself toward that ground and push through your forearms rather than your hands.
- Downward Dog: For this classic yoga pose, you’ll want to form a reverse V shape with your heels close to the floor and your hands flat on the floor. Keep your spine straight, and use your shoulders to push your weight toward your heels!
- Handstands: Practice this classic and fun movement against a wall for extra support! Be sure that your elbows and wrists are healthy before you attempt a full handstand.
Please note that you can’t spot reduce fat on your arms through any of these movements. Building muscle in your arms will allow you to achieve a “toned” look only if you have a low enough body fat percentage to reveal the muscle you’ve built! If you suspect your arms are carrying too much weight to show the muscle you’ve been working hard for and would like them to appear slimmer, try eating in a slight caloric deficit under the guidance of a professional.
Healthy Holiday Recipes
Ready to look and feel your best this spring? Now is the perfect time to incorporate healthier food into your diet!… and these delicious recipes are sure to wow even the pickiest guests at your holiday gatherings.
Be honest… is there ANYTHING that sounds better than a spinach and feta quiche? My mouth is watering just telling you about this recipe! It has a delicious quinoa crust, which lends heart-healthy fiber and micronutrients to what would otherwise be a heavy, low-fiber dish.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, chilled
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach
- ½ cup 1% low-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 ½ ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- For the crust, preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine quinoa, pepper, and egg in a bowl, stirring well. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes; cool.
- For the filling, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil and onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add spinach; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Combine milk and next 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Arrange spinach mixture in crust; pour egg mixture over spinach. Sprinkle with feta. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into 4 wedges.
What better way to celebrate the Spring with a mouth-watering Honey-Ginger Cedar Plank Salmon? Here are the dirty details…
- 1 lb. lemon, plus slices for garnish
- 2 tsp. grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large piece skin-on wild Alaskan salmon (about 2 lbs.)
- 3 tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed with press
- 4 c. packed arugula, plus more for garnish
- 4 miniature seedless cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 c. cooked corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1/2 c. loosely packed cilantro leaves
- Soak large cedar grilling plank (about 15-inches-by-7-inches) in water 1 to 2 hours.Heat grill on medium.
- From lemon, grate 1 teaspoon zest and squeeze 1/4 cup juice; set juice aside. Combine zest with ginger and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper; rub all over flesh side of salmon.
- Place salmon on soaked plank skin side down; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Grill 20 to 25 minutes, covered, or until desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk soy sauce, honey and Sriracha; set aside half. To remain- ing soy mixture, add garlic, reserved lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss with arugula, cucumbers, corn and cilantro. Brush salmon with reserved soy mixture.Garnish with arugula and lemon slices. Serve with cucumber salad.
Spring into bloom with these sweet new scents from doTERRA
Getting active this spring with racquet sports? Here’s a gentle reminder to stay safe in the sun!
It’s always a good idea to get active outdoors, but be sure to throw on the necessary protective gear before you spend too much time under the sun’s rays!
If you’re debating investing in sun-protective spring clothing, I highly recommend checking out these pieces from BloqUV! Order today at BeFitSRQ.
Ready for your home to smell like Spring?
… so I’m getting my hands on one of the Element Tree Essentials Magnolia Driftwood Lotion Candles ASAP! Not only does this candle smell absolutely delicious (nothing screams spring like the sweet smell of magnolia trees), it also melts into a luxurious and warm natural body lotion! Grab yours the next time you’re at the studio.
With more outdoor activity comes more tension in your joints…
Which is why I highly recommend booking your first Laser Therapy Appointment with LIghtforce!
Upcoming April Events
Annual run for the turtles: Support sea turtles by participating in Mote’s 5K or 1-mile race on April 1 at Siesta Beach!
Elizabeth Moore Sarasota Open: Are you a tennis lover? If so, don’t miss this exciting open event on April 9-16! Get your tickets today.
Shark Tooth Festival: On April 22nd and 23rd, enjoy a weekend filled with music, food, and fun activities for the whole family in the Shark Tooth Capital of the world!
Have a great month, and let me know how I can help you stay on your 2023 fitness goals!